Listen..

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Friday, December 5, 2014

Facebook, detox.

The strangest thing about the first couple days off of Facebook is wanting to post on Facebook about what it's like to be off of Facebook.

Ridiculous, but true.

My life for the past year and a half has been complex, insane, sane, simple, and trying.

My intention to live life in a different way than I have been starts with detoxing from the internet. I've set up my life this past year and a half in such a way that all I've been involved in is work, grad school, and lying in my bed. I've become spiritually sedentary. I've lost connection to nature, to time..to the simple act of being with myself without some interference or distraction. This has to change.

I deleted Facebook today, and won't go back. Next week I leave Georgia for Louisiana, and I will spend my two-three weeks there engaging with the world in a way I once knew.

My plans are to run at Audubon Park; to go to the sculpture garden; to explore the city with new it eyes; to revisit old friendships in person; to create some things. I will be on the internet as little as possible.

I have to detox and reset my way of being in the world before I start the next year and a half of my time in Georgia. And after that most likely will come a Ph.D; it's vital that I learn (relearn) a different way of existence.

Facebook for me became increasingly a place full of disconnection, where people presented themselves in facades. Even when we were being authentic, by the very nature of communication there it becomes a paradox. Authenticity does not live in a vacuum outside of an authentic relationship with someone/something else. There must be real communication to foster it and for it to exist. There is no such thing as authenticity on Facebook because a container for such communication can never be created. A person is not communicating there with any type of full human experience. It's impossible to be a humanist and exist in such a space.

That's all for now. It feels good to write again in such a container.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment