Listen..

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Nightmare.

I flew through the air like I always did when I'm being chased. Flight, gently touching rooftops; traveling faster than one could walk, or drive. I land in a busy section of the city; the bustle and night should have cloaked me better than any disguise. Yet there he was, right around the corner from me. He saw me. I watched him come toward me as I ran, stuck to the ground this time. I hid behind a curtain in a merchant stall. Its not possible. How did he get here as fast as me. Flight has always been my savior.

He found me immediately. His large, meaty hand reaches out and grabs me by the neck. I'm done for.  The only thing that can save me is a shift of scene.

It started at our workplace. Two women, a few men, one with whom I'm very close. My coworker (lets call her Susie) says she has a stalker. She's afraid to walk to her car at night. So we start the trek with the men accompanying us to our cars. It's a long walk. I can feel eyes following me from the dark places in the night. We hear something in the bushes. The men want to investigate. I ask them, "Will you leave us alone then? By ourselves?" They say, "just for a minute." They walk off into the darkness. Its quiet for a minute then there he is. Huge. Taller than tall. Wide. Legs like tree-stalks. Arms like blocks. Hairy. His hair is wild and unkempt. I can't see his face behind that hair. He starts toward us. We run for the office, Susie and I. He's so fast...so fast...I fly...

He's got me. A scene shift is what I need. My brain complies.

I'm in my house. Its the kind of house where I normally wouldn't lock the doors. Its in a quiet neighborhood. But night is falling and remembering the man I lock the doors. I rush to do so. All the doors locked. My baby in my hands. I feel like its barely in time. Something draws me to the front door. I walk to it slowly, and pull back the curtain that covers the small window built into the door. I peek out into the night and all I see is a silhouette of a man's head right in front of me . It breaks into a grin. "Hello, Beautiful" he says, from the other side of the glass.

I am static with terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment