Listen..

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Should Stephen King be considered a classic literature novelist?


Well I don't think so but perhaps you might.

Unfortunately I missed this lecture in class. I'm about to read his short story The Man in the Black Suit. I wonder if it has anything to do with his "man in black" in the darktower series.
Ok.
King has written A LOT of books. But Salient and I were just having this discussion. Only half or less than half really can be considered good, even pleasurable. While I give him endless kudos for The Darktower Series..as creative as it is, it isn't on par with Alexander Dumas or Fyodor Doestoevsky (sp?). (I know I spelled it like I hear it in my head, which I've learned is wrong.)

Not sure what the point is here. Oh yeah. Maybe the standards for "great" literature are changing. Could Chuck Pahluniuk be considered a literature author? I would say he has a very unique style,...props for that..and is great at story telling....maybe the definitions are changing no?

I don't think there will be many more novels written in the styles of Pride and Predjudice or Great Expectations. But that doesn't mean that there isn't great literature being written.

For the sake of argument, I'm still not ready to commit to Stephen King being considered a great classic literature novelist. Perhaps we need a new category all together for these 21st century authors.

1 comment: